FAQs for Instructors

How do I become a Driving Instructor?

The process of becoming a driving instructor is clearly defined by the regulating body the DVSA and fully described on the .Gov site, the link to which we provide below. In short, you have to be eligible ie 21 years or over, have held a full driving licence for 3 years, preferably with no points. There are three specific exams – Your Part 1 which is a theory test, Part 2 is a test of your driving ability and Part 3 is a test of your instructional ability. Drive Hart offers training for all three exams and has an excellent pass rate. Link to .Gov how to become a driving instructor: https://www.gov.uk/become-a-driving-instructor


or see our online resource pack on the following link:  https://elearning.easygenerator.com/b9f453e1-c9a1-4163-b9b7-1acd92235b3b

What is the difference between a theory test for a learner and a Driving Instructor?

Yes, there is a significant difference; the instructor theory test (which includes multiple choice and a hazard perception test) is much more comprehensive with a higher marking criteria to a learner test. A key issue many have is they forget that the multiple choice for instructors covers areas not included in a learner test and you have to get at least 80% correct in each group to pass. Drive Hart provide detailed advice on your Part 1 revision strategy. It is a fundamental step to preparing yourself for teaching. https://www.gov.uk/adi-part-1-test/revision-practice?step-by-step-nav=80bd32e4-9708-4214-bc0f-50358223bb09

What is the difference between a practical driving test for a learner and a Driving Instructor?

The practical driving test for instructors, Known as Part 2, is an hour long and covers 5 parts (eyesight check, show me/tell me questions, general driving ability, manoeuvres, and independent driving). The examiners are looking for a good strong professional standard of driving. The level of driver faults is much less than a learner (no serious, only 6 faults maximum) and you are expected to demonstrate a disciplined drive. Drive Hart provide coaching and in car sessions to prepare for this test. https://www.gov.uk/adi-part-2-test/what-happens-during-test?step-by-step-nav=80bd32e4-9708-4214-bc0f-50358223bb09

What is involved in the Test of Instructional Ability?

This exam, known as the Part 3, is generally acknowledged to be demanding and requires you to demonstrate that you have the required standard of instructional, client centred coaching and teaching skills. The assessment covers lesson planning, risk management, teaching and learning strategies. You will be expected to give a client centred lesson lasting about 1 hour to a pupil of your choice. The marking criteria is strictly defined, and you will need to fully acquaint yourself with how you will be marked in each of the three competency areas. Link https://www.gov.uk/adi-part-3-test/what-happens-during-test?step-by-step-nav=80bd32e4-9708-4214-bc0f-50358223bb09

How long will it take to train to become an instructor, and can I carry on my current job whilst I train?

These are points many ask, and it really depends on how much time, practice, and effort you can put into your training. Realistically it should be possible to complete all three exams within a 6 to 12-month period. Some of our trainee instructors have arranged their training around a second job and have taken 12-18 months to get qualified. At Drive Hart we have a clearly defined syllabus and recommend as much in car training and observation as possible. We run internal mock testing to show what progress you are making in each key exam. We are happy to discuss your options for training and associated costs without obligation.

I have heard you can go on a trainee licence for 6 months is this correct and how does it operate?

You can go on a 6 month trainee licence, but this is not mandatory. There are two formats to this and Drive Hart will discuss practically which format they can support, and which best suits you. The trainee licence gives you the opportunity to earn and teach, gaining experience before your Part 3 exam. Follow this link for more details:


Do I have to go on a trainee licence?

No you do not need to go on a trainee licence. However, the challenge of the Part 3 exam is significant and it is generally felt that candidates have a better chance of passing, if they have observed and had the opportunity to practice teaching whilst on a trainee licence. Drive Hart offers sponsorship for those seeking trainee licences on a selection basis and runs internal ‘match fit’ mock tests to ensure you are ready to teach in this capacity and therefore ready to take your Part 3. :


How much will it cost me to train to be a driving instructor?

Drive Hart offer training on a pay as you go basis, we do not expect large deposits. It is based on an hourly rate of 45.00. We can discuss with you the overall cost of training, depending on your prior experience to help you set up a training budget covering all the known costs (exams, training and DVSA licence fees). At Drive Hart we believe that you need transparency in costs and will work with you on this before you commit to any training regime. Ring Sarah Hart on 07919 488360 to discuss.

What are your payment terms for training?

Drive Hart offer pay as you train at £45 per hour. No deposits are required, no lengthy contract. You are responsible for meeting trainee licence and exam costs directly with DVSA (at present these are £443).

Do I have to sign a long-term contract or franchise agreement?

Sarah Hart Driving School / Drive Hart Ltd do not operate contract franchises. Our Drive Hart Services to our instructor clients are based on them having either a trainee status (as a Drive Hart Trainee) or an Associate membership of Drive Hart. The terms to gain Association Membership of Drive Hart can be discussed with you without any obligation but in essence it is a service agreement which can be terminated by either party with 2 weeks’ notice and no financial tie in or penalty.

Where would I get a car to teach in?

As a trainee / Associate of Drive Hart, you work independently as a sole trading entity and you would be responsible for sourcing your own vehicle. We have a strong relationship with competitive lease providers, and a recommended brand format, which Associates Members are required to follow. We will support you in making your choice of car lease provider. But remember all vehicle (purchase and lease costs) and running costs can be offset your tax liabilities, a point which makes set up much more affordable.

When I am teaching on a trainee licence, or full licence, do I take home the money I earn, or do I have to wait to get it from you?

As a Drive Hart associate you take home your fees from your students. We do not manage your contract with the student, your diary, or your earnings. As an independent trading entity, you are responsible for declaring your earnings, your tax, insurance and running costs. Drive Hart is a membership-based association, you pay for support services on a fixed fee. Services include general operating support, administration, technical and IT support and of course student referrals. We can discuss the full details of association with you prior to making any commitment to train with us.

How much can I expect to earn when trained?

The average earnings for driving instructors differs because some work part time, others full time and simple matters of geography and population density can alter the calculation. But the industry published averages lie between £25 – £35K per year for this area. We will help you estimate your earning potential before committing to any training programme by talking through your needs, availability, and preferred working pattern.


Government approved and registered. Published standards and syllabus. Online resources.


'Covid Secure' Protection. Instructor/Public Liability Insurance. Accredited Instructors.


Parent support provided. Published syllabus/revision materials. Progress tracking.


Your pass = Our Priority. Outstanding test results. Mock testing, progress tracked.